Each tarot card, no matter the deck, has a number of components that can help you understand and interpret the card. You don’t need to know all of them, or think about all of them. You may find you resonate more with elements and numbers than you do with astrology and Kabbalah, for instance.
The important thing is to know that there are many ways to interpret a card, and many things to notice about a card that will help you derive information.
So here’s a list of nine things you will find in a tarot card.
- Number – Each card has a number, and there for a connection to numerology.
- Element- Each card is associated with one of the Four Elements, Earth, Air, Fire and Water.
- Astrology – Each card has an astrological association.
- Kabbalah – Each card has a position on the Kabbalistic Tree of Life.
- Color – We can learn a lot by paying attention to the colors we see in the cards.
- Key Words – Each card has key words assigned by the artist or author, or by tradition. Sometimes the Key Words are printed on the card, sometimes not.
- Name – Each card has a name. Sometimes that name can be very helpful in its interpretation.
- Images – Each card is made up of images. As a whole picture or as individual parts, the pictures can speak to us in a variety of ways.
- Esoteric Title – Each card has an esoteric title (first published by MacGregor Mathers in the late 1800s).
Which of these do you commonly use? Which of these do you want to use more? About which of these would you like to learn more?